Friday, May 13, 2011

Rollin' in California


One thing you should know about me- I don't eat fish. It's a personal choice. I know fish is one of the most healthiest things you can eat, but this girl ain't going anywhere near it. I'll take the fish oil capsules instead.

However, my younger brother brought home some trout that he caught, and I cooked it up. And yes, I ate half of a small trout. It tasted okay, but the whole fish idea made me not want to eat it. I'll have a recipe on that later (which by the way, all my fish loving family LOVED it so don't worry, it's good).

For today, I want to give you a great recipe for California Rolls. I made this in my culinary class back when I was in school, and I loved it. I, however, was the only one to make mine without crab, and without nori. It was pretty difficult, and didn't really resemble a roll... Anyway, here's a recipe you'll love!


California Rolls

1 C Short Grain Rice
2 C Water
Nori
Imitation Crab, or Real Crab (your choice)
Cucumber
Carrots
Green Onion
Red Bell Peppers
Avacado

Directions:

1. Cook the rice. Bring it to a boil, stirring continuously. Put the lid on, and turn the heat on low. Let simmer for 15 minutes. Cool rice completely before assembling your rolls.
2. Put rice on nori, covering all but 1/2 to 1 inch on the edge.
3. Place your meat and cut vegetables on the rice, parallel to the bare edge.
4. Roll carefully, making sure the nori doesn't tear, but tight enough that it won't fall apart.
5. Wet the bare edge of nori with a tiny bit of water so it sticks together when rolled up.
6. Cut into smaller pieces, each piece should make 6-8 rolls.
7. Dip in soy sauce and enjoy! Or use my dipping sauce below:

Sugar dipping sauce

1 tbsp. Rice Vinegar
2 tbsp. Sugar

1. Mix together and dip your California Rolls in it and enjoy!


So if you just wanted a snack, or you're looking for the perfect appetizer, these California Rolls will certainly be a hit! If you have any suggestions, please leave me a comment!

Feel free to send me recipes to try or perfect. I will add them to my blog so be careful if you don't want me to unleash the secrets of your great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandmother's chunky corn bread. Check back often to see what else I'm cookin' up!


Follow Glorious Food on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment