Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Blue Chicken? What?

Okay ladies and gents, especially the ones who like meat, I have a recipe that calls for not one, but TWO kinds of meat.

That's right.

Chicken and ham. Two of the best kinds of meat out there. Also, there is cheese, and a white wine sauce... Is any of this ringing any bells? Maybe you have heard of that yummy French recipe Chicken cordon Bleu? Yeah, that's right. You remember now, that delicious but expensive item on the menu at that fancy restaurant you only go to once a year...

Well today, you my friends are in luck! I am about to spill the recipe to Chicken cordon Bleu.


Chicken Cordon Bleu

  • 6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
  • 6 slices Swiss cheese
  • 6 slices ham
  • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 6 tablespoons butter
  • 1/2 cup dry white wine
  • 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream
Directions

  1. Pound chicken breasts if they are too thick. Place a cheese and ham slice on each breast within 1/2 inch of the edges. Fold the edges of the chicken over the filling, and secure with toothpicks. Mix the flour and paprika in a small bowl, and coat the chicken pieces.
  2. Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat, and cook the chicken until browned on all sides. Add the wine and bouillon. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes, until chicken is no longer pink and juices run clear.
  3. Remove the toothpicks, and transfer the breasts to a warm platter. Blend the cornstarch with the cream in a small bowl, and whisk slowly into the skillet. Cook, stirring until thickened, and pour over the chicken. Serve warm.

I have only made this recipe once before and wasn't too crazy about the white wine sauce. Personally I would let it be without the sauce, or just make a chicken broth sauce. I have not made any changes to this recipe and found it at http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/chicken-cordon-bleu-ii/Detail.aspx

Tonight I made strawberry banana smoothies for dessert. They were pretty good. Refer to my I Dream of Smoothies post for info on how to make them. Just substitute the peaches for 1/2 cup bananas and 1/2 cup strawberries. :) Anyways, tell your friends about me and leave me feedback!!

Feel free to send me recipes to try or perfect. I will add them to my blog so be careful if you don't want me to unleash the secrets of your great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandmother's chunky corn bread. Check back often to see what else I'm cookin' up!

No comments:

Post a Comment