Monday, April 25, 2011

Popcorn

I absolutely love popcorn! It is one of my favorite snacks. I decided I wanted to make popcorn balls-- a simple recipe I was taught in my culinary class. So as I'm making the sugar mixture to pour over the popcorn, I think to myself, "man I don't really wanna ball up all this popcorn into equal sized balls."

So I didn't.

Instead, I poured the mixture over the popcorn, let it cool for about 30 second, and broke it all apart. It in a sense made kettle corn. Nothing fancy, just sugar coated popcorn.... Mmmm!

Here's my recipe:

Sugar Coated Popcorn

2 C. White Sugar
1 1/2 C. Water
1/2 C. Light Corn Syrup
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
5 Quarts Popped Popcorn (I like Home-style popcorn)
1/2 tsp. Salt

Directions

Popcorn
1. Pop the popcorn
2. Put in an oven safe cooking pan.
3. Place in oven at 200 degrees F to keep it warm.

Sugar Coating
1. In a sauce pan combine the sugar, water, salt, and corn syrup.
2. Cook over medium heat to the hard crack stage(test this by placing a little bit of the mixture into cold water. If hardens almost instantly, it's ready.) or 290 degrees F (use a candy thermometer).
3. Stir in the vanilla.
4. When ready, slowly pour over the popped popcorn. Stir with a wooden spoon to coat each piece.
5. Let it cool for about 30 seconds. If not too hot, break apart the pieces and place into a dry bowl.
6. Enjoy with your favorite movie :)


I have learned also 1/4 tsp of peppermint extract tastes great on your popcorn! Try experimenting with your favorite flavors, but don't get crazy as it could ruin your sugar mixture.

If you want to make popcorn balls, rub butter on your hands, pour sugar onto popcorn, stir well, then grab a handful and roll into a ball. :)

Feel free to send me recipes to try or perfect. I will add them to my blog so be careful if you don't want me to unleash the secrets of your great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandmother's chunky corn bread. Check back often to see what else I'm cookin' up!

No comments:

Post a Comment