Thursday, April 7, 2011

I can hear your tummy growling.

I love food. That's about it. Why say more? Because I am nice, and nice people share. Food is yummy. Food is our fuel. Food is an important part of life. Without it, we would be extinct.

Unlike Julie Powell (The Julie/Julia Project), I will not be using "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" as my Bible, nor will I be cooking up 524 recipes in 365 days, for it might just kill me. It's simple. This blog is to share my experiences with food. From preparing it, to cooking it, to eating it, then digesting it... Ok maybe not that far, but you get the idea.

I will be sharing some of my own recipes, my mother's recipes and my grandmother's recipes with you. I can't wait to get my hands on that chocolate cream pie recipe my mama makes. It's sure to hate you and make you gain about ten pounds, but it is so worth it. Also I will be sharing recipes I have tried, liked, perfected, and loved.

Just like Remmy (Ratatouille) has Chef Gusteau, and Julie Powell has Julia Child, I have Paula Deen and Betty Crocker. Like Paula, I love butter. I use it in almost every dish I make, and I always make sure there is some in the house just in case I need it for a random unplanned dish. If the recipe isn't quite good enough, add more butter!!! Betty Crocker has not failed to amaze me yet. Her 7 Minute Frosting is AMAZING! If I forgot frosting, I can literally whip some up in about 7 minutes. I will be sharing this recipe later on. Don't get too excited and take the fun out of it by looking it up yourselves.

For Christmas 2010, my grandmother gave me a Paula Deen Recipe Diary. The diary is awesome as it has a few of Paula's recipes, and tips and tricks in the kitchen. I never knew that if soup is too salty to just add a few potato chunks to it to absorb excess salt. Amazing little tip I just shared (thanks Paula!). I will also be sharing those little tips and tricks with you, along with the ones I have found out on my own. :)

With that all being said (and my first post down!), I will let you go with you one of my own simple yet amazingly delicious recipes that I thought of on a hot sunny day.


Cucumber Apple Salad

4 C. Baby Spinach
3
Fuji Apples
1 Medium Cucumber
1/4 C. Dried Cranberries
Dash of Salt

Directions:

1. Dice apples and cucumber
2. In a bowl, combine spinach, apples, cucumbers, and that little dash of salt.
3. Toss....
4. Add dried cranberries to the top
5. Add your favorite vinaigrette (I eat it plain)
6. Enjoy!

Makes for a tasty, and healthy side dish or snack... Especially one for a hot summer day!


Feel free to send me recipes to try or perfect. I will add them to my blog so be careful if you don't want me to unleash the secrets of your great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandmother's chunky corn bread. Check back often to see what else I'm cookin' up!

No comments:

Post a Comment